Last Updated on December 12, 2023
Indulge in the mouth-watering flavors of homemade KFC-style fried chicken. This recipe brings the iconic taste of the famous fast-food chain right into your kitchen, with its perfect blend of spices and crispy coating. Ideal for family dinners, gatherings, or whenever you crave a comforting meal.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Marinating Time: 4 hours to overnight
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes to overnight plus 20 minutes
- Chicken Pieces: Preferably use a mix of drumsticks, wings, and breasts.
- Buttermilk: For marinating the chicken, which tenderizes and adds flavor.
- Flour: For coating the chicken.
- Spices for the Flour Mixture:
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Mustard
- Ground White Pepper
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Basil
- Ground Oregano
- Ground Celery Seeds
- Black Pepper
- Dried Thyme
Marinating the Chicken:
- Buttermilk Marinade: Mix buttermilk with a portion of the spice mix. Soak the chicken pieces in this marinade for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, in the refrigerator.
Preparing the Flour Mixture:
- Blend the Spices: Combine all the spices in a bowl. This creates the famous KFC-style seasoning.
- Flour Mixture: Mix the seasoned spice blend with flour. Ensure it’s well combined.
Coating the Chicken:
- Dredging: Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Dredge each piece in the seasoned flour mixture until well coated.
- Resting: Let the coated chicken pieces rest on a rack for 15-20 minutes. This step ensures the coating sticks better during frying.
Frying the Chicken:
- Oil Temperature: Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep skillet to about 350°F (175°C).
- Frying in Batches: Fry the chicken pieces in batches, not crowding the fryer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Draining: Drain the fried chicken on a wire rack over a sheet pan to keep it crispy.
Tips for the Best KFC-Style Chicken:
- Spice Blend: The secret to KFC-style chicken lies in the spice blend. Feel free to adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Cooking Temperature: Maintaining the right oil temperature is crucial. Too hot, and the outside burns before the inside cooks; too cool, and the chicken absorbs too much oil, becoming greasy.
- Buttermilk Marinade: The buttermilk tenderizes the chicken and adds a tangy flavor, crucial for getting that authentic taste.
- Resting Before Frying: This step is essential for a crispy coating that doesn’t fall off during frying.
Enjoy your homemade KFC-style fried chicken with your favorite sides!
Health Benefits and Cautions of KFC-Style Fried Chicken
- Protein Source: Chicken, the primary ingredient, is a rich source of high-quality protein, essential for muscle building and repair. Protein also plays a crucial role in maintaining hair, skin, and nails’ health.
- B-Vitamins: Chicken contains B-vitamins like niacin and vitamin B6, crucial for energy production and maintaining healthy blood cells.
- Minerals: It provides essential minerals such as phosphorus and selenium. Phosphorus aids in teeth and bone health, while selenium supports immune function and thyroid health.
- Spices: The blend of spices used in KFC-style chicken, including garlic, ginger, and pepper, offers various health benefits. Garlic is known for its antibacterial properties, ginger aids digestion, and pepper can boost metabolism.
- High in Calories and Fat: Fried chicken is high in calories and saturated fats. Overconsumption can lead to weight gain and associated health issues like heart disease and high cholesterol.
- Sodium Content: The seasoning and marinating process often involve high sodium levels, which can be a concern for individuals with hypertension or heart conditions.
- Risk of Acrylamide Formation: Frying at high temperatures can lead to the formation of acrylamide, a compound associated with an increased risk of cancer.
- Gluten Concerns: The flour coating makes it unsuitable for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- Potential for Digestive Issues: For individuals with a sensitive digestive system, the high-fat content and spices can cause discomfort, like bloating or indigestion.
While fried chicken can be a tasty and satisfying meal, it’s important to consume it in moderation, particularly for individuals with dietary restrictions or health concerns. Balancing such indulgences with a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is crucial for maintaining overall health and well-being. Additionally, exploring healthier cooking methods like baking or air frying can provide a similar taste experience with reduced health risks.